OAAA's Letter to the students concerning the effects of the COVID-19 virus.
March 21, 2020
As we resume the Spring Semester in the midst of challenging times, we care about your well-being and are here to support you in the coming weeks. While many of us are feeling uncertain and stressed due to the effects of the COVID-19 virus, we are hopeful that things will work out in time.
Although the Dawson’s Row office is closed, the OAAA Deans and staff are committed to helping you navigate this semester and to reach your personal and academic goals.
Since we are all working off-Grounds, sending an email to Ms. Carter (firstname.lastname@example.org) is the best way to reach our office. If you have an urgent need during normal business hours, you may call our main number (434-924-7923).
If you cannot reach Ms. Carter via email or phone, you can contact Mr. Jeffery Smith at email@example.com or Ms. Angela Comfort (434-989-5269) to assist. The Deans remain available to communicate via email and will respond to you as soon as possible.
As an alternative to our regular in-person meetings at OAAA, appointments can now be scheduled through Ms. Carter. She can schedule your appointment with Dean Bassett (1st years), Dean Grimes (2nd years), Dean Mason (3rd years) or Dean Apprey (4th years).
Areas of our support include Student Consultation, Academic Advising, and Crisis Response. The following information should answer some of the most common questions that our office has received in the last few days:
Individual student needs
- Students in the Federal Work Study program (FWS) will continue to be paid an average of their current wages bi-weekly through the end of the semester. For other students working on Grounds, please check with your supervisors for details.
- Emergency Financial Aid & Basic Needs Assistance - ODOS has compiled a list of resources for students. These include: support for non-travel aid, emergency travel (https://sfs.virginia.edu/travelsupport), technical assistance for online instruction (https://sfs.virginia.edu/techfundinghelp), honor loans (https://odos.virginia.edu/honor-loan-application), and food related concerns (https://pantryatuva.org/).
- The last date to withdraw from a course and receive at ‘W’ is now Thursday, March 19th.
- For this semester, for the undergraduate schools, credit/no credit (CR/NC) will be the default grading system for all classes where the work is not yet completed; students will also, however, have the option to receive a letter grade. Students must decide whether to receive a letter grade by the last day of spring semester classes, Tuesday, April 28th.
- We encourage students who are considering using the CR/NC option for any course to meet with an OAAA Dean to discuss potential impacts on your GPA.
- We strongly recommend that students who are planning to make the Dean’s List, working towards Satisfactory Academic Progress or concerned about maintaining Financial Aid eligibility to make an appointment with an OAAA Dean as soon as possible.
For information on OAAA-supported tutoring (e.g. Calculus) and tips for on-line course success, see the upcoming OAAA E-Weekly and the OAAA website.
Staying connected to our community
Right now, taking care of yourself is important! If you feel overwhelmed, stressed, or isolated, there are people at UVA, in addition your OAAA Deans and staff, who can help. You can call the Student Health Center’s Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) at 434-243-5150 or 434-972-7004 for after hours and weekend crisis assistance) to schedule an appointment. If you prefer to speak anonymously and confidentially over the phone, Madison House's Helpline is available at any hour of any day: 434-295-8255.
If we focus on the tasks at hand, and stay grounded in our values of community, culture and care, we can all complete the semester well. Now is the time to ask questions, seek help, and reach out if you need to. We will do our best to continue to advocate for your interests and needs and to be your “home away from home” for this semester and beyond.
Dean Apprey, Dean Grimes, Dean Bassett, Dean Mason, Ms. Comfort, Ms. Carter, Mr. Smith