What is GradSTAR?
GradSTAR is an Office of African-American Affairs (OAAA) initiative to support African-American students’ academic excellence and to promote personal growth and involvement in all University activities and programs. GradSTAR empowers African-American students to create opportunities to gain knowledge and skills to succeed in a global society.
GradSTAR prepares students for
- Research experiences
- Civic engagement & service projects
- Clinical & career exposure (esp. for students in pre-professional areas of study)
- Cultural enrichment opportunities (including Study Abroad)
It also helps students to access University resources including
- UVa Library and Media Centers
- University Career Center
- UVa Writing Center
- Center for Undergraduate Excellence (CUE)
Tips for Success
- Schedule an appointment with your Association Dean or academic advisor & visit the OAAA office each semester before classes begin.
- Use a planner to organize your academics and activities.
Develop a strong work ethic
- Practice good study habits
- Go to professor/TA office hours
- Form positive relationships with classmates
- Attend Raising-the-Bar
Balance your UVa Experience
- Choose extra-curricular activities wisely
- Seek support from OAAA Deans & Peer Advisors
For more information, please contact Dean Thomas
Office of African-American Affairs
University of Virginia
Charlottesville, VA 22904